Thursday, March 5, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday ~ Stuffy Old Pals

This is a bunny I could not pass up at a tag sale I went to a few years ago. The seller was truly grateful that I took him to a good home. I don't know how old he is, but he was filthy and I gave him a good bath which made his hair fall out. This does not make him any less lovable to me (especially since he was probably happy being filthy and having hair)!

This is a bean-filled clown I found shoved to the rear of a linen closet in my parent's house when I was little. I'd never seen it before, and when I asked Mom about it, she said she made him, but now (45 years later) she says she doesn't know anything about him! (That's a picture of me on a collage my sister made for me in the background)
This is a really good friend of mine that has been through thick and thin with me, and has the tear stains to prove it! Her name is Betsy/Cathy. She is a "flip doll" that my Mom made for me when I was about three years old. Betsy has blond hair, a little pout and a raggedy ripped dress. When you flip her over (she hates that) Cathy, who has black hair, a full smile, bright eyes and an elegant satin dress with a flower at the waist, appears. (You can see Betsy's hair hanging out from under Cathy's dress). Betsy and I had more intimate conversations than did Cathy and I. Nothing personal, Cathy is perfectly nice. Betsy even meets in the middle with her sometimes. It's just that Betsy was always home, while Cathy was on her way out the door to a ball or some such. That and the fact that Betsy was always such a better listener.

Show me your vintage. Join "Vintage Thingies Thursday" at Colorado Lady's blog every Thursday!

10 comments:

  1. These are great! I love the clown and had to smile at the fact your mom does not remember anything about him, I hear that from my own mom too. Lovely post, and lovely treasures. Thanks for sharing them today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So your mom doesn't know anything about the clown she said she made years ago? That has happened to me - I KNOW mom told me something about an item - then she swears she never said any such thing! (Trust YOUR memory, now!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flip dolls were popular with storytellers. I remember a Little Red Riding Hood one. The bunny story reminded me of the Velveteen Rabbit--so glad this one has a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely treasures. I love them all, even sweet pink hairless rabbit. :). Happy VTT and have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its wonderful that you have your flip doll! The bunny does remind me of the Velveteen Rabbit too-glad you gave him a home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the flip doll. Have never seen one before. Well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post...i love bunny & Betsy, they're just sssooo sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I decided to take a different way back to my blog tonight and I walked by the Coloradolady Blog.
    I love making new friends and I enjoyed my visit here at The Little Pink House. I would love to paint my house pink but I have not been able to convince my husband of that.
    Blessings
    I would be honored if you stopped by my blog for a cup of tea.
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little flip doll is my favorite! I have a weakness for rag dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had my old dolly but she is long gone.I feel so sorry for old cuddlies they need rescuing & loving some more!
    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete